What Wilt Thou?



The story of a blind man receiving his sight SHOULD bring a sense of excitement, wonder, and inspiration. The truth is, however, that this brief story found in Mark 10, more often than not, is skimmed over with a sort of 'ho-hum' indifference. I mean, it's not the miracle of the loaves and fishes, is it? There isn't any one walking on water, and it certainly isn't the resurrection. These are the 'big' stories, those we deem worthy of our time, attention, and emotional response. Today, however, I have seen the experience of blind Bartimaeus with new eyes. It stirred me to indignation, which in turn melted into sorrow. In the end, my heart cried out for a miracle to be performed in my own life. 

  The passage begins with Christ walking on the road out of Jericho, where Bartimaeus 'sat by the highway side begging'. (Which of course we know was not by happenstance). He couldn't see the Lord, but he knew He was there. What a truth! He is ever present, though we may not see Him. Bartimaeus called out to Him: "And many charged him that he should hold his peace".

What?! The nerve! The nerve of those goody-goodies, who felt privileged above all others to be in His presence, with the ability to walk with and serve with Him! Oh! May our hearts be slain at the thought of being too 'good', too busy for Christ, that we miss those around us who are calling out to Him!  
"But he cried the more a great deal... and Jesus stood still". Those words give me goose bumps every time I read them. Does it not bring a tear to the eye?! Does it not make you weak at the thought that a cry from sinful, blind lips would stop the Creator in his tracks?! "And they called the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee." Those who only minutes before sternly put their fingers to their lips, with scowls on their faces and bid him be silent, now have come gracefully, kindly forward, with smiling face and outstretched hand to bid him come. The audacity! The hypocrites! But am I not as one of these, every time I put my spiritual blinders on, until such a time when Christ looks at me and says, that one over there, he needs Me?  

  "And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee?". Bartimaeus' simple response was 'that I may receive my sight'. This scene burned with clarity within my mind. I put myself in this story, in blind Bartimaeus' shoes, kneeling with face bowed before the Almighty, hearing this question from His lips. And my heart said, "open my eyes Lord! Make me clean! Make me worthy! Make me Christ-like! Make me see others as You do!

  And then I wonder, how did those who attempted to mute this blind man, feel once he was healed? Were they at all convicted? By God's grace, I would've; because I am. I think this was just as much a teaching moment for the crowd, (and to us), as much as it was a miracle of sight and faith for one man. 

Help us to see others as You do. Help me to draw others to you, not because you've had to call my attention to it, but because I was already paying attention.
Fight the good Fight
With sight,
Jenny








Comments

Popular Posts